I love to incorporate berries into dessert dishes. Berries have such a sweet, fresh taste, plus they are filled with antioxidants so where can you go wrong?! This lemon berry tiramisu is one of my favorites and it is perfect for a summer barbecue. It’s light and fresh and the mixture of the sweet berries with the zesty lemon create the perfect combination.
LEMON BERRY TIRAMISU RECIPE
PREP TIME: 35 mins
TOTAL TIME: 3 hours
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 8 ounce containers Mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1.5 packages soft ladyfingers (7.1 ounces each) OR a family size loaf of pound cake (16 ounces) sliced a little wider than a quarter inch
- 3 cups fresh mixed berries (I typically use raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and blackberries)
- In a 2 qt. sauce pan, heat granulated sugar, water, lemon juice, and lemon zest to boiling. Boil until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Pour heavy whipping cream, 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract into bowl. Whisk together on high speed until stiff peaks form (about 1 minute). Set aside.
- Beat Mascarpone Cheese, whipped cream, the remaining 4 tablespoons of powdered sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla extract together.
- Line bottom of 8 inch square dish with half of ladyfingers. Brush about a 1/4 of lemon syrup over the ladyfingers. Top ladyfingers with half of Mascarpone mixture and spread evenly.
- Top with half of mixed berries and brush about 1/4 lemon syrup.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
- Refrigerate for at least 2.5 hours or overnight.
- Too lazy to make your own whipping cream? Just use a cup of Coolwhip in lieu of 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- When I say generously coat with the lemon syrup, I mean really cover the ladyfingers and berries. If you are using pound cake instead of ladyfingers, remember that pound cake is much more dense than ladyfingers so it can hold more liquid before it gets soggy.